Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Responsibilities, responsibilities

I'm always curious. Okay, lets picture this situation. You're among a group of people. The group faces danger. A critical situation. Everyone panics, what is your role?


A. Panic like everyone does
B. Move all the way behind so you're safe of the danger
C. Ponder a way to save yourself
D. Just keep quiet, wait and see whats going to happen
E. Stand up front and say "I'll take charge"

Honestly, my choice would be E. When it comes to a situation like this, do you think it is best to have a leader, or to just scurry around and panic like ants on hot sand? I'm not trying to brag, but having the initiative and will to be a leader is very important.

At this stage, if you are still the one hiding behind, you'll definitely and eventually lose out to others. Let me give you a simple, personal example; morning mini-assembly in school, I'm so surprised to see students of my form, of the same gender as me, to scurry behind the line when the teacher comes. Like, what the hell? Is it such a herculean task to even stand in front? Pre-U students? I'm not surprised if something like this happens when we're in form 1 or form 2, or even form 5. The reason may be that we tend to chatter along during these formalities, but in form 6? 18 years of age? Embarrassing.

Whats so good about being a leader? It's tough, it's challenging, but what you learn during the process of being a leader is priceless. Honestly, I WANTED to be company leader during National Service. And, I volunteered. And I learnt lots of things through that. Although I may not be a perfect or even a good leader, but the experiences were precious. Heck, if I was given the chance to be CAMP leader, I'd take it. Now THAT is one heavy job. Besides, being a leader is quite fun, at times. =D

Learn to be a leader, TRY to be a leader. Who knows? You might have the talent to lead, and you were concealing it all along.

"With great power comes great responsibility."

0 comments: